The Syriac Catholic Church of Antioch
In conformity with a decision made by the early Church, Jerusalem kept status within the Syriac Church of Antioch as one of the vicariates of the Patriarchal See of Antioch. The
Syriac Catholic Church, which united with Rome in 1782, established the Vicariate of Jerusalem in 1890. By a firman dated May 6, 1845, Ottoman Sultan Abdel Majid recognized the civil rights of the Syriac Catholic Patriarchate of Antioch in Jerusalem and in the Holy Land, he exempted the Church from all taxes and customs.
The residence of the Exarchate shared the vicssitudes of the wars and revolution that took place between 1900 and 1973. It was successively transferred in 1948 from Damascus Gate Jerusalem to Bethlehem, and in 1965 from Bethlehem back to Jerusalem, to the present House of Abraham at Ras El Amud-Silwan. In 1973, it purchased a property and settled definitively at 6 Chaldean Street, Jerusalem.